The new thing nowadays it seems is bacon in desserts. Many of the cooking shows I watch I see them making chocolate covered bacon, adding it to cupcakes, cookies...whatever. So...I saw a post from www.tablespoon.com on facebook with a recipe for candied bacon chocolate chip cookies. HAD to try it. I baked them today and my 4 year old came in the kitchen and said "Momma, those cookies were wonderful wonderful wonderful. I loved the bacon in the cookies, it was just enough." I know these sound a little funny, but they are definitely worth the try!
- For the candied bacon:
- 8 slices center cut thick bacon
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- For the cookies:
- 2 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- 2Place bacon in a single layer on a foil lined sheet.
- 3Sprinkle brown sugar on top of bacon strips. Bake for 18-25 minutes or until crispy, making sure to turn bacon over after 10 minutes.
- 4Remove from oven and place on a wire rack for cooling. Once bacon has cooled chop it finely.
- 5Reduce oven temperature to 325 degrees.
- 6Sift flour and baking soda.
- 7In a medium bowl, cream butter with the white and brown sugar.
- 8Add vanilla, egg, and egg yolk to the bowl and beat until light and creamy.
- 9Add flour mixture and mix well.
- 10Add diced candied bacon and chocolate chips and stir until just combined.
- 11Place golf ball sized balls of dough on a parchment lined cookie sheet and bake for 13-15 minutes or until edges are brown. Remove from oven and let cookies sit on the pan for a couple of minutes before placing on a wire rack.